Sunday, December 11, 2011

Third Sunday In Advent 2011

The lectionary readings for today are:
First Reading: Isaiah 61:1-4, 8-11
Psalm: Psalm 126
Psalm (Alt.): Luke 1:47-55 (Luke 1:46b-55 NRSV)
Second Reading: 1 Thessalonians 5:16-24
Gospel: John 1:6-8, 19-28

This Sunday is also known as Gaudete Sunday, the Sunday of rejoicing. I don't know how much rejoicing we do these days in our culture. It seems to me we mostly anesthetize our emotions, largely by distraction, so as to not feel too much pain, but that also means we do not feel much joy. We seem surprised when either come upon us, but how we are undone when they do! I pray that God diverts me from my diversions, so that I may know the joy and hope that Mary expresses.

The video below is from Sheppard's Magnificat.

No comments:

Post a Comment