Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Saint Nicholas

Today is the Feast of St. Nicholas. I've always loved Santa Claus. In fact, when I learned that there was no Santa Claus while in second grade, I simply refused to believe it. Later, I learned that my stubbornness was not without reason. There really had been a Santa Claus, though the name has morphed and he was much more than a jolly old man. He was a Christ follower, a Christian, and all the legends of gift giving and magic were true in the best sense. Nicholas of Myra was a wealthy man whose faith in Christ transformed his life to one of self sacrifice and healing.

During this Advent season, how wonderful it is to remember this faithful man who came before us. This is what I love about the communion of saints. He is as real today as he was over 1500 years ago. Sometimes a child's stubborn faithfulness is a good thing.



Here's a video clip of the real story of this beloved man.

No comments:

Post a Comment