Monday, May 31, 2010

After Camping Conversation

After camping this weekend, our family stopped for a bite to eat, and this a summarized  portion of the conversation we had.

Emma:  I think we should go see Robin Hood.
David:  No, I don't think we'll be going to see that.
Emma:  I read the book for school.
David:  Really?  How old is the story?
Emma:  I think it was written around the 1850's.
Me:  The story of Robin Hood has been around for hundred's of years, and many legends have grown around the historical figure.  The story you read was written by Roger Lancelyn Green, probably in the 1930's or 40's.
Emma:  I was only about 100 years off.
Me:  Yes, that's right.  Did you know Roger Lancelyn Green was a good friend of C.S. Lewis's?
Emma:  You talk about C.S. Lewis so much, it's like he's your best friend.  Really, it's like you're going to meet him at Annie Moore's on Wednesday.
David:  Emma, I think you just paid your mother the greatest compliment she could receive.

Nota bene:   RLG's The Adventure's of Robin Hood was published in 1956.

No comments:

Post a Comment